Thursday, February 19, 2015

Week #3 Asthetics Design and Branding

Ive chosen http://tectorch.com/ and http://spotmetering.com/. First Ill start with Spot Metering. I find this site to be very confusing. First off the main page takes a while to scroll down and even load if you have a slow computer. Second is that this site needs an about page or just a simply explanation as to what they are about. Third and last is that the main page could be easily split up into several different headers and or links. However they are doing two things correctly. They have a header type system at least so not everything is jumbled together. The other thing is that its easy to find a way to contact the author which is normally what happens when you have a question or the sort. If it wasnt so cluttered on each page then maybe, and if I was into cameras, Id want to use the website and possibly his services.

The second site I chose was Tectorch. First off I see that the contact information is at the bottom which is good because you cant really miss it but is also bad because if you don't expect it to show at the bottom then you wont notice that its even there. Second is that the header is on the side of the webpage which is, in my opinion, a bad thing. If you have it off to the side, you take away space for more items in the body of your webpage. Third, is that   annoying little set of boxes, similar to what were ad type boxes but filled with nothing basically making them appear as two rectangular "box" lines on the home page. However like the previous site, they do have contact info, necessary if you wish to get in touch. 2nd is that despite the "headers" being off to the left, you at least not only have link-able headers you even have a "Main" subject header so you know what kind of tools you'll find underneath. I myself would move the headers to the center and horizontal, then make the headers become like pull downs so you can simply hit the arrow and it expands to give you more choices. I would also add some prices or a price list to get a general idea of what your bill, if you want what hes selling, might be.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your posts and appreciated the positive vibe about the bad sites. Your point on Tectorch adding pricing is great. I used to used these old surplus type sites when I was a full time sculpture artist and I would only use them to see if they had the part I wanted and then I would have to drive to them and negotiate pricing in a greasy warehouse...part of the fun tho haha. But not good for online marketing.

    ReplyDelete